Thursday, February 10, 2011

Preface to Titus

Before the summer of 2009, if I had been asked to write or speak about any character in the Bible, chances are, Titus would have been on the bottom of the list. Why? Ignorance. What changes ignorance? Light/Exposure. And very often "light" comes in the form of other people.

John Valentino was my exposure to Titus. It really happened in a strange way. John and I had taught a couple of series together. This particular series on healing included, at John's planning, a night about Titus. The format of the teaching was, he taught half and I taught half. I figured I could "half Titus" with no problem! " Sorrow and Titus" was to be the 8th teaching of that series. A few weeks into the series, John informed me that he would be in Montana for two weeks. I was thrilled for him, as we both had a love for Montana. He then, with his beautiful smile, said, " I will be gone for Titus, but I will send you my notes." I heard my favorite expression," Oh Sweet Jesus" come from my mouth. John immediately encouraged me telling me everything was going to be fine. John was an encourager.

To make a long story short, the Titus notes were late due to John's work schedule, going to school and preparing for his trip. This was very unlike John, as he was always punctual. But it was like God, He knew I had some studying to do! John's notes finally arrived. When I saw the subject for the email, ""my notes for Titus and sorrow" I was elated! I opened it up and there staring me in the face was about 6 sentences. I had to laugh, before I hit panic mode!

So, I am going to be doing a mini "blog study" of Titus. I hope when it is finished you will see why John loved Titus. The truth is, if John Valentino would have looked in the mirror, I believe he would have seen Titus. He would have seen why Paul spoke of Titus the way he did, why Titus was used in the way he was.

Anyone who knew John Valentino loved him. I am not unique in feeling like a very important person in my life is gone. I know for a fact, there are many people sitting in Holy Cross MCC, and have followed the path of Christ because of the example of John. John was a man of humility. He never had to build himself up. He knew who he was, in Christ. Above that, he never had to tear anyone down, he knew who they were, in Christ. As I said, John was an encourager. He would spend time with people and make everyone feel like they were the most important person in his life. He loved the Lord, and had such reverence for Communion. I was most humbled to be able to consecrate Communion with him several times. John and I prayed often together. He and I had the same view on prayer. It is to be a personal conversation with the most important person(s) of our lives. When John and I would hold hands and pray, I could not help but look at him from time to time. His prayers were from the heart, simple, gentle. His eyes would often tear up and often there would be that gorgeous smile. Whatever came from his mouth traveled from his heart. John understood that in order for God to hear our prayers, God did not need a Thesaurus, nor ear plugs because He was being screamed at! All He needed was the love of a heart. A heart like John Valentino. What a legacy.
Thank you John, I love you!

Stay tuned....Titus Part 1 is coming!

No comments: