Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Take Out the Trash

Ok, so I am not a blogger. I admit it. I also do not believe in New Year's Resolutions, I admit it! I do believe in goals. Not too many mind you. Too many make me overwhelmed and I am at my worst when in that condition.
It is funny how the Lord works. Every year at this time, it seems we are "encouraged" to look into that closet and discard anything we have not worn in the past few years. Well, maybe next week! But the Lord worked in me, through my pantry. I am blessed to have a very large kitchen pantry. Too large. Too large for me means, you have no idea what in the world is in there. Well, I had a can that decided it had seen better days and sprang a leak! Of course it was hidden in the back corner, I don't look in the corners of my pantry very often. From my Italian relatives, I know better than to leave tomato anything in a pantry too long. Acid and metal do tend to divorce chemically after a while. So, for the past few hours I have been throwing out and scrubbing. The contents of my pantry is all over my kitchen counters. It is a mess, but I am blessed to have found it!
As I was cleaning, I was thinking prayer life, or any other part of life, is like my pantry or any other "holding area". Sometimes, things need to be refreshed, washed off, discarded, or put up front so they can be of their utmost use. I can not hold on to things that no longer produce good seed in my life. If it no longer fits, God will remind us in many different ways. Like the can, God reminds me through my being, when I have sprung a leak! Take out the trash! I am blessed today that I know when things need to be better balanced and refreshed. I know I can do something about it. But, it is all in listening, for me at least. So, I have decided, not as a New Year's Resolution mind you, but as a goal, to start in the corners, check out the small stuff and work toward the center. That way...perhaps in no time at all, all the trash will be out, nothing hidden and can explode!
Happy New Year to you all

No comments: